It has been almost three weeks now since I started my job, and I think I can truly speak about how things are going on that front. The first week or two were a bit rough, as they can be with any new job, just because of the steep learning curve. Although I've never done anything quite like this before, it helped a great deal that I already knew the staff and many of the kids. Now, three weeks in, I know all the staff, and can greet by name about 90% of the kids. The identical twin girls in Ellie's class are still tough for me (the teachers tell me it is something about a spark in the eyes that identifies one of them), but I think I'm doing well on that front. I get on well with the staff, I think, and inspire only a little bit of terror in them. I think having not only a man but a white man in the manager job is a bit intimidating for the almost-all-female staff. That and the fact that I mentioned I wanted to start doing performance evaluations.
The job itself consists mainly of coming in each morning, chatting with parents, and then finding out that something I didn't know existed needed to be done yesterday. Then I struggle for a while to figure out what actually needed to be done, I do it, I apologize to somebody for having been late, and then go on to the next day. That is about 80% of the job. The rest is doing something I know needs to be done tomorrow. The process there is the same as the other, but without the apology.
Despite that, I am actually enjoying myself. The kids are all really lovely. Some of them (not just my own) call me "dada" or "papa", in part because that's a Khmer-style term or respect, but also because Ben and Ellie call me Daddy, so it seems natural that this must be my name. I have an amazing amount of variety, from managing enrollment lists, payroll and school policies to wiping runny noses. Jen pointed out that this is very much the same thing I do at home, just on a much bigger scale.
Sadly I have no new pictures relating to work. Sorry for the all text posting. Once I get my office decorated I'll post some before and after photos.
Thursday, September 07, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Awww, Papa Ed. Seems most fitting honestly. Sounds like your doing a great job.
It's fun to read about how your new job is going. I'm sure the kids and staff will love you - we know how much the staff in Mexico loved you because you treated them so well. I think it's great that you have a job outside your normal computer realm - it will help make you more well rounded. I've always appreciated the wide variety of jobs I've held - it's amazing how the skills translate so easily from one job to the next. Pretty cool!
Love,
Phyllis
Sounds like you're doing an excellent job :-)...and I'm sure Ben & Ellie love having you accessible while they're at school. Hope it continues to go well!
Post a Comment