Saturday, April 21, 2007

Recent events

Things have been pretty quiet here recently. Jen is currently in Laos with some friends, and I've been home all week on my own with them. For the first part of the week we really tested my sanity since it was Khmer New Year, and having our staff work would be like forcing you all to work on Christmas. It just isn't done. So the three of us spent four days with no help, and managed with only a few minor bruises (this is of course literal - Ben still can't get over hitting, head bonking, and biting his Daddy and sister).

Prior to that we had a good run of health in the family, suffering only from a cold or two, when Ben managed to slam his thumb in the big metal door on our stairs. This was of course a traumatic experience for him, but it may have been worse for Jen and me. There was a fairly significant amount of blood spurting out, and we rushed him to the clinic for an after-hours fixup. We were fortunate that our friend, a British doctor there, happened to stop by, and when she saw who it was decided to take care of him personally. I'll spare you all the details, but no stitches were needed under the nail, but the nail will fall off any day now. It still hurts him a bit, but it is slowly but surely getting better.

That's about all our news. I continue to write for Dark Reading, only now they are paying me for it, which is a good thing I think. Work for Jen is a always challenging and constantly changing, most recently with the bust of a major drug production facility near Phnom Penh. Tons (literally) of chemicals for making meth were found, and as the point person for drug issues here, she's been doing a bunch of work on that.

That's about all for now. I'm sure Jen will have some great photos of her trip to put up soon, so keep checking in!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Great to hear from you Nathan! We, too, have been negligent in our blog-posting. Time just seems to fly in the spring...I'm sure you'll be glad for Jen to be home so you can have a few quiet moments to yourself! Say hi to the kids, give them a hug from us.

Anonymous said...

Wow! You really were flying solo, weren't you - watching the kids around the clock with no help. I'm glad you all survived. I think the separate vacation idea is a great one. Much more enjoyable, I'm sure, when it's your turn to go!
Love,
Phyllis